Health Care

Texas measles outbreak approaches 500 cases 

The deadly measles outbreak in Texas is continuing to rise, now approaching 500 confirmed cases with at least 56 people facing hospitalization since late January, according to health officials.

The total number of cases has increased to 481, the Texas Department of State Health Services said Friday in a new update. On Tuesday, the total was 422.

Officials in the Lone Star State also revealed there’s been one fatality — a school-aged child who did not have known underlying conditions and was not vaccinated.

Still, the largest number of confirmed cases is in Gaines County with 315, according to the data, the area where the outbreak began two months ago.

The total number of cases hit a record 400 in the state last Friday, increasing by 20 percent since the prior update. The viral infection has also been spreading in other states.

New Mexico has so far detected 54 cases, according to the state’s health department, with six new cases tallied over the course of this week. Nearly all cases, 52, were confirmed in Lea County, and there has been one death so far.

There have also been 10 cases of the viral infection in Oklahoma as of Friday, state health officials said in an update.

Still, Texas has seen the largest number of confirmed measles cases since 1992, when 990 cases were confirmed.

Measles is a highly contagious virus that spreads through the air when an infected individual sneezes or coughs, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The department recommends getting two doses of the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine for the best protection.

You may also like